- any of squid-like cephalopods (marine mollusks) of the order Sepiida that have eight arms, two retractable tentacles, and a calcareous internal shell, and can eject a dark ink when threatened
- A wood-nymph who was physically a part of her tree; she would die if her tree were .
- A thin, strip or bar of wood (lath), metal, or plastic.
- An elemental (spirit or corporeal creature associated with a classical ) associated with earth.
- A popular 18th- and 19th-century form of entertainment whereby ghostly apparitions are formed.
- One of the short stubby bearings on side of a cannon; a gudgeon.
- Any of several species of Arctic sea birds of the Alcidae.
- A small accumulation of pus in the or dermis.